Here are some background resources on “Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation” (SLAPPs) and advice for responding to legal bullying. If you or your organization faces the risk of a SLAPP, we strongly recommend that you find legal counsel, because each case requires a unique response.
- What is a SLAPP? - Not all lawsuits are SLAPPs. Here are some of the warning signs of a SLAPP.
- Who is vulnerable? - SLAPPs pose a threat to a wide range of individuals and organizations working in the public interest. Here are some recent, emblematic cases.
- Know your rights - You can reduce your risk of SLAPPs by taking certain precautionary measures.
- Get help - If you have been sued or face the threat of a SLAPP, here are some immediate steps to consider.
- Our cases - Learn more about the work of the task force and its individual members.
- Help us end SLAPP - There is wide support for ending SLAPPs. What we need now is unified action.
- SLAPP Tactics
- Types of Cases
- Resource Categories
Electronic Frontier Foundation Helps to Launch the “Protect the Protest” Task Force
David Ruiz describes how the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has worked to tackle SLAPPs, and
Court Shuts Down Monsanto’s SLAPP Against Avaaz
A Manhattan judge has denied an effort by agribusiness giant Monsanto to subpoena communications and
Major Global NGOs Launch “Protect the Protest” Task Force
MEDIA CONTACT Kyle Moler email@example.com (202) 478-6173 NEW YORK, NY — A new task force
Federal Judge Requested to Dismiss Standing Rock Suit by Greenpeace
WASHINGTON, DC September 5, 2018 — Greenpeace filed motions to dismiss the amended complaint brought
Protect the Protest Task Force Launches with a Promise: An Attack on One is an Attack on All
For decades, powerful interests have attempted to intimidate and silence public watchdogs, journalists, and advocacy
Federal Court Dismisses Pipeline Corporation’s Lawsuit Against the Earth First! Environmental Movement
On August 23, 2018, a federal court in North Dakota dismissed the SLAPP brought by
Hollywood’s Notorious Men Retaliate Against #MeToo Movement
Valentina Stackl of EarthRights International discusses the pervasive use of SLAPPs against #MeToo survivors. Stackl
Lawsuit Against Greenpeace Raises Freedom of Speech Concerns
Human Rights Watch discusses a SLAPP filed by Resolute Forest Products against Greenpeace and Stand.earth,
The New Corporate Playbook, Or What To Do When Environmentalists Stand In Your Way
In the Huffington Post, Katie Redford of EarthRights International discusses the growing trend in which American
Defending Dissent: SLAPP Lawsuits and the Fight For Free Speech
The International Corporate Accountability Roundtable (ICAR) discusses a SLAPP filed by Resolute Forest Products against