Here are some background resources on “Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation” (SLAPPs) and advice for responding to legal bullying. If you or your organization faces the risk of a SLAPP, we strongly recommend that you find legal counsel, because each case requires a unique response.
- What is a SLAPP? - Not all lawsuits are SLAPPs. Here are some of the warning signs of a SLAPP.
- Who is vulnerable? - SLAPPs pose a threat to a wide range of individuals and organizations working in the public interest. Here are some recent, emblematic cases.
- Know your rights - You can reduce your risk of SLAPPs by taking certain precautionary measures.
- Get help - If you have been sued or face the threat of a SLAPP, here are some immediate steps to consider.
- Our cases - Learn more about the work of the task force and its individual members.
- Help us end SLAPP - There is wide support for ending SLAPPs. What we need now is unified action.
- SLAPP Tactics
- Types of Cases
- Resource Categories
In an article for Grist, Justine Calma and Paola Rosa-Aquino discuss a 1990s tactic that
BISMARCK, ND — Krystal Two Bulls, an Oglala Lakota and Northern Cheyenne U.S. army veteran and
MIAMI, FLORIDA – Yesterday, a federal court dismissed a defamation lawsuit brought by a Russian
SPRINGFIELD, OREGON – Residents of Weed, California are rallying today outside the headquarters of Roseburg
On November 30, 2018, San Francisco’s Superior Court issued an order granting anonymous antifascists’ motion to quash
WASHINGTON, DC, October 18, 2018 — A new Greenpeace USA report “Still Too Far: Energy
Valentina Stackl of EarthRights International discusses the pervasive use of SLAPPs against #MeToo survivors. Stackl
In the Huffington Post, Katie Redford of EarthRights International discusses the growing trend in which American
On August 3, 2018, a federal court blocked Energy Transfer Partners, developer of the Dakota Access
Court Dismisses Frivolous and “Dangerously Broad” Lawsuit Against NGO BankTrack for Opposing Dakota Access Pipeline
On July 25, 2018, a federal court dismissed a SLAPP lawsuit by developers of the Dakota Access