Here are some background resources on “Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation” (SLAPPs) and advice for responding to legal bullying. If you or your organization faces the risk of a SLAPP, we strongly recommend that you find legal counsel, because each case requires a unique response.
- What is a SLAPP? - Not all lawsuits are SLAPPs. Here are some of the warning signs of a SLAPP.
- Who is vulnerable? - SLAPPs pose a threat to a wide range of individuals and organizations working in the public interest. Here are some recent, emblematic cases.
- Know your rights - You can reduce your risk of SLAPPs by taking certain precautionary measures.
- Get help - If you have been sued or face the threat of a SLAPP, here are some immediate steps to consider.
- Our cases - Learn more about the work of the task force and its individual members.
- Help us end SLAPP - There is wide support for ending SLAPPs. What we need now is unified action.
- SLAPP Tactics
- Types of Cases
- Resource Categories
New York Times Feature: Maggy Hurchalla, Florida Environmental Activist, Continues SLAPP Fight Despite Recent Loss
In a recent New York Times article, Florida environmental activist Maggy Hurchalla discussed the ongoing SLAPP suit that was brought against her by Florida mining Company, Lake Point Restoration.
Human Rights Watch: Green Activists are Fighting the Great Fight – but are being Dragged Down by Petty Lawsuits
In Newsweek, Marcos Orellana of Human Rights Watch describes how companies worldwide are bringing baseless
The ACLU discusses how pipeline company Energy Transfer is abusing the judicial system in order
Forestry Company Faces Challenge to Its “Responsible Timber” Certification After Waging Intimidation Campaign Against Local Community
WEED, CALIFORNIA – Citizens of Weed, California filed a complaint today with the Forest Stewardship
Today, activists gathered outside Chevron’s annual meeting to tell CEO Michael Wirth that the company
In an article for Grist, Justine Calma and Paola Rosa-Aquino discuss a 1990s tactic that
BISMARCK, ND — Krystal Two Bulls, an Oglala Lakota and Northern Cheyenne U.S. army veteran and
SPRINGFIELD, OREGON – Residents of Weed, California are rallying today outside the headquarters of Roseburg
WASHINGTON, DC, October 18, 2018 — A new Greenpeace USA report “Still Too Far: Energy
A Manhattan judge has denied an effort by agribusiness giant Monsanto to subpoena communications and