Here are some background resources on “Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation” (SLAPPs) and advice for responding to legal bullying. If you or your organization faces the risk of a SLAPP, we strongly recommend that you find legal counsel, because each case requires a unique response.
- What is a SLAPP? - Not all lawsuits are SLAPPs. Here are some of the warning signs of a SLAPP.
- Who is vulnerable? - SLAPPs pose a threat to a wide range of individuals and organizations working in the public interest. Here are some recent, emblematic cases.
- Know your rights - You can reduce your risk of SLAPPs by taking certain precautionary measures.
- Get help - If you have been sued or face the threat of a SLAPP, here are some immediate steps to consider.
- Our cases - Learn more about the work of the task force and its individual members.
- Help us end SLAPP - There is wide support for ending SLAPPs. What we need now is unified action.
- SLAPP Tactics
- Types of Cases
- Resource Categories
Protect the Protest Adds to the Voices Calling for Anti-SLAPP Law in Kentucky
In the 2020 legislative session, Louisville Representative Nima Kulkarni filed anti-SLAPP bill in the Kentucky
New York Times Feature: Maggy Hurchalla, Florida Environmental Activist, Continues SLAPP Fight Despite Recent Loss
In a recent New York Times article, Florida environmental activist Maggy Hurchalla discussed the ongoing SLAPP suit that was brought against her by Florida mining Company, Lake Point Restoration.
EFF: Why We Can’t Support Modifications to Texas’ Anti-SLAPP Law
The Electronic Frontier Foundation analyzes Big Business’ “reform” of Texas’ anti-SLAPP law. This article is
Texas: Don’t Let the Legislature Gut Your State’s Free Speech Laws
Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) describes what is at stake if a Texas anti-SLAPP statute gets
Critical Free Speech Protections Are Under Attack in Texas
Joe Mullin of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) discusses an effort to weaken Texans’ right
The Dakota Access Pipeline Company Is Abusing the Judicial System to Silence Dissent
The ACLU discusses how pipeline company Energy Transfer is abusing the judicial system in order
Communities Demand Accountability and an End to Chevron’s Pollution
For Immediate Release May 21, 2021 Contacts: Shoshana Wechsler at email@example.com +1.510.332.4110 Nyunt Than at
Student Surveillance Vendor Proctorio Files SLAPP Lawsuit to Silence A Critic
Originally posted on the EFF website. Reposted with permission. During the pandemic, a dangerous business
Activists Defeat SLAPP Brought By Company With White Supremacist Ties
On November 30, 2018, San Francisco’s Superior Court issued an order granting anonymous antifascists’ motion to quash
Energy Transfer Continues Aggressive Attempts to Silence Opposition: Greenpeace Report
WASHINGTON, DC, October 18, 2018 — A new Greenpeace USA report “Still Too Far: Energy