Here are some background resources on “Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation” (SLAPPs) and advice for responding to legal bullying. If you or your organization faces the risk of a SLAPP, we strongly recommend that you find legal counsel, because each case requires a unique response.
- What is a SLAPP? - Not all lawsuits are SLAPPs. Here are some of the warning signs of a SLAPP.
- Who is vulnerable? - SLAPPs pose a threat to a wide range of individuals and organizations working in the public interest. Here are some recent, emblematic cases.
- Know your rights - You can reduce your risk of SLAPPs by taking certain precautionary measures.
- Get help - If you have been sued or face the threat of a SLAPP, here are some immediate steps to consider.
- Our cases - Learn more about the work of the task force and its individual members.
- Help us end SLAPP - There is wide support for ending SLAPPs. What we need now is unified action.
- SLAPP Tactics
- Types of Cases
- Resource Categories
The Dakota Access Pipeline Company Is Abusing the Judicial System to Silence Dissent
The ACLU discusses how pipeline company Energy Transfer is abusing the judicial system in order
Tongue-in-cheek ‘SLAPP Awards’ celebrate the corporations, lawyers using courts to silence free speech
The Protect the Protest task force announces first-annual accolades for biggest legal bullies and shadiest
The First Annual SLAPP Awards 2018
Last year was a busy year for corporate bullies in the US. It seems nowadays
Revoke Chevron’s License to Spill!
Justice must be served in the Amazon In an effort to shareChevron’s widespread harms in
Trump’s Mob Violence Reminds Us Why We Need To Defend Protest
We stand unequivocally behind the right to protest. And we stand unequivocally behind the fact
‘Weed 9’ Water Activists Present Legal Claim Against Sacramento Law Firm for Filing Malicious Lawsuit Aimed at Silencing Free Speech
The Weed, California, community members claim Churchwell White LLP knowingly filed meritless and illegal SLAPP
Chevron: Protect the Protest’s Corporate Bully of the Year
Today, activists gathered outside Chevron’s annual meeting to tell CEO Michael Wirth that the company
U.N. must examine growing trend of U.S. corporations using courts to silence dissent, says free speech group
WASHINGTON, DC — Protect the Protest, an international task force of over 20 organizations working
The Term “Eco-Terrorist” is Being Used to Harass Activists
In an article for Grist, Justine Calma and Paola Rosa-Aquino discuss a 1990s tactic that
Pipeline Protester Fights Back Against Corporation’s Sprawling, Outlandish Lawsuit
BISMARCK, ND — Krystal Two Bulls, an Oglala Lakota and Northern Cheyenne U.S. army veteran and