Here are some background resources on “Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation” (SLAPPs) and advice for responding to legal bullying. If you or your organization faces the risk of a SLAPP, we strongly recommend that you find legal counsel, because each case requires a unique response.
- What is a SLAPP? - Not all lawsuits are SLAPPs. Here are some of the warning signs of a SLAPP.
- Who is vulnerable? - SLAPPs pose a threat to a wide range of individuals and organizations working in the public interest. Here are some recent, emblematic cases.
- Know your rights - You can reduce your risk of SLAPPs by taking certain precautionary measures.
- Get help - If you have been sued or face the threat of a SLAPP, here are some immediate steps to consider.
- Our cases - Learn more about the work of the task force and its individual members.
- Help us end SLAPP - There is wide support for ending SLAPPs. What we need now is unified action.
- SLAPP Tactics
- Types of Cases
- Resource Categories
BuzzFeed Defeats SLAPP Arising Out of Trump-Russia Scandal
December 20, 2018
MIAMI, FLORIDA – Yesterday, a federal court dismissed a defamation lawsuit brought by a Russian
Facing a SLAPP Threat? Here are 10 Resources to Help You
November 21, 2018
Our democracy depends on checks and balances – and those who work to expose the
Dangerous Lawsuit against Greenpeace Threatens News Organizations and First Amendment
February 19, 2018
This article by Camille Fassett of the Freedom of the Press Foundation describes a SLAPP