Here are some background resources on “Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation” (SLAPPs) and advice for responding to legal bullying. If you or your organization faces the risk of a SLAPP, we strongly recommend that you find legal counsel, because each case requires a unique response.
- What is a SLAPP? - Not all lawsuits are SLAPPs. Here are some of the warning signs of a SLAPP.
- Who is vulnerable? - SLAPPs pose a threat to a wide range of individuals and organizations working in the public interest. Here are some recent, emblematic cases.
- Know your rights - You can reduce your risk of SLAPPs by taking certain precautionary measures.
- Get help - If you have been sued or face the threat of a SLAPP, here are some immediate steps to consider.
- Our cases - Learn more about the work of the task force and its individual members.
- Help us end SLAPP - There is wide support for ending SLAPPs. What we need now is unified action.
- SLAPP Tactics
- Types of Cases
- Resource Categories
Protect the Protest Adds to the Voices Calling for Anti-SLAPP Law in Kentucky
In the 2020 legislative session, Louisville Representative Nima Kulkarni filed anti-SLAPP bill in the Kentucky
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Tackles SLAPPs
In 2017, John Oliver produced a segment on Last Week Tonight that took aim at
SLAPPed for Speaking About Palestine
Strategic lawsuits against public participation (or SLAPPs) are a tactic used to intimidate activists, journalists,
International Organizations Demand DOJ Review Chevron’s Retaliatory Litigation against Human Rights Attorney Steven Donziger
Read the letter here Washington, D.C. – Thirteen international human rights and environmental watchdog organizations sent
New Case Alert: North Carolina Parent Sued by Curriculum Company
PRESS RELEASE Blain Dillard is a parent of three sons living in Cary, NC, which is
New York Times Feature: Maggy Hurchalla, Florida Environmental Activist, Continues SLAPP Fight Despite Recent Loss
In a recent New York Times article, Florida environmental activist Maggy Hurchalla discussed the ongoing SLAPP suit that was brought against her by Florida mining Company, Lake Point Restoration.
Case Update: Despite Retreat from City of Weed, ‘Weed 9’ Remain Resolute in Fight Against SLAPP
On August 11, Water for Citizens of Weed, California (WCWC) issued a press release announcing
South African Advocacy Organizations Launch Anti-SLAPP Campaign: Asina Loyiko
Last month, a network of South African civil society organizations launched the joint advocacy campaign Asina Loyiko: United Against Corporate Bullying.
EFF: Why We Can’t Support Modifications to Texas’ Anti-SLAPP Law
The Electronic Frontier Foundation analyzes Big Business’ “reform” of Texas’ anti-SLAPP law. This article is
Human Rights Watch: Green Activists are Fighting the Great Fight – but are being Dragged Down by Petty Lawsuits
In Newsweek, Marcos Orellana of Human Rights Watch describes how companies worldwide are bringing baseless